Sunday, December 7, 2008

Fantastic List of Homeschooling Resources

I've been thinking for a while about making a list of my favorite homeschooling resources and posting them here on my blog.  Someday, this might actually happen. . . but, for today, here are my "TOP TWO" recommendations (I read or refer to both of these multiple times every year):  

"The Three R's" 
by Ruth Beechick 
(the older version is actually 3 small booklets; newer version is all in one)

I can't say enough about this VERY short, VERY comprehensive book.  Ruth Beechick is incredibly knowledgeable and gifted in teaching children the basics!  If I was stranded on a desert island or (more likely) a missionary living in a mud hut in Africa, this book and the Bible would be all I would NEED to educate my children very well!  If you are new to homeschooling, or if you are homeschooling a birth-10 year old and struggling and/or overwhelmed with too many resources, PLEASE get this book right away.  It will be an invaluable tool!

"Educating the Whole-hearted Child" 
by Clay and Sally Clarkson

A very good friend first gave me this book when Mr. Z was almost 5 after listening to me lament about how we wanted to homeschool BUT were so worried that he would never ride the bus, carry a lunchbox, go to prom, etc. . . LOL!   Praise the Lord that He knew just what I needed at that moment because this book confirmed everything I knew that I knew but just couldn't put into words.  What an encouragement!  What a challenge to raise my children to be whole-heartedly devoted to the Lord.  Even if you're not a homeschooler, many of the thoughts and ideas in this book about intentionally discipling your children make this a book worth having on your shelf!

And, since we're talking about great resources. . . 

Check out this post from Kendra over at Preschoolers and Peace.  It is all about basically free homeschooling resources available via the internet.  BTW, Preschoolers and Peace is a great resource itself!  You can even help to support P&P by purchasing one of the above resources through their site (I am not being paid to say this!).

No comments: