Saturday, January 24, 2009

Cornrows and Extensions

Call me crazy, but I actually look forward to "hair day!" I have come to really enjoy "plaiting" my daughters hair and after almost two years, I have become quite proficient at it. PTL! I started out simply: just sectioning her hair into small squares, making a small pony tail with each and then twisting, zulu knotting, or braiding each small pony tail. I then branched out into some more complex patterns in sectioning and tried joining the braids together, etc. . . About a year ago, I decided to learn to cornrow. After watching a couple of YouTube demonstrations (which made NO sense at all), I just started figuring it out. The first couple of attempts were rather sorry, to say the least! However, we stuck with it and, little by little, we got it! Here is one picture of one of our "autumn hair do's" and a few pics of our "December hair-do."   We started putting in beads at the ends of the cornrows which seemed to make them last a little longer AND, they just look darn cute! Watch for a few more upcoming "hair" posts on hair care, our first hair extensions (done by mom), and a real suprise!

(the last picture also has Little Missy's newly lost tooth - hence the red blotchy smile!)






5 comments:

Ginny said...

Great job on the hair! How's Speedy Mo??? I have been checking every day for an update. Thanks for your encouraging comment-it feels good to know I have you waiting in the wings if I need to talk.

Jen said...

Ginny,

Thanks for asking about Speedy Mo. He is much better. . .check my next post for an update.

We are totally praying for you! It will probably get harder before it gets easier - they have to test and see if it is for real. . . can they trust you, is it forever, etc. . . The great thing is that you will become better and better at figuring them out too!

Anonymous said...

I am so envious. I can only do a half-way decent looking pony-tail in M5's hair, and well...her's isn't nearly as difficult to do. Will you do our hair next???? GREAT JOB!

PS-I like the toothless photo.

Liberia Adoption said...

She's beautiful Jen! Great job. I miss that smile.

junglemama said...

You did a great job!