Saturday, November 22, 2008

A "Found" Christmas

Yep, that's what we're having this year at our house:  a FOUND Christmas!  Instead of spending money on gifts we don't need, we're finding items we already own or creating gifts from things we have just laying around.  I've even "found" a few things in my neighbor's garage that she willingly donated towards our found Christmas (one of those tree-house doll houses for my daughter!).  

We had this idea months ago and it has been fun to watch and listen as everyone in our family finds and creates gifts to give this Christmas.  I don't want to give anything away in case some family member reads this blog, but it is quite amazing what people are coming up with.  Someone is getting a bread machine, another is getting an air-conditioner (crazy what we can find just laying around!), and there are quite a few homemade projects going on around here lately!

I was thrilled to stumble upon The Advent Conspiracy a few weeks ago; it seems that many others have also decided to give Christmas-shopping mania the boot and use that mooh-lah for something much more meaningful.  

Check it out!

3 comments:

Cyndy said...

I'm going to be giving you some linky love later on this week! This is just frugally inspirational Jen! I love it!
I'll let you know about Lori's book-let after I talk to her. :)
Happy Thanksgiving my friend!

Anonymous said...

Loved the video, love your idea, and I can't wait to hear how it all goes. We are doing MUCH less this year, and I'm looking forward to it.

I LOVE YOUR BLOG...and I'm a committed reader!

Love you,
Frances

Anonymous said...

I love this video. I have seen it several places now. It is so moving.