Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Wonderful Wisdom of a 9 year old

It seems the children are just full of wise words lately and it sure has been making us laugh around here!

Some background info:  Mr. Z (9) and I have been reading about the founding fathers, The Declaration of Independence, the basic set-up of our federal and state governments,  etc. . . 

So, we are sitting at the dinner table having a family discussion about how it is ILLEGAL (in the state where we live) for anyone to sell, give, or RECEIVE raw milk unless it is from a USDA inspected and approved facility.  Practically speaking, this means that, if I go to my friend's mini-farm and bring home a gallon of raw goat's milk for my family to drink. . . both her and I are committing a crime that is punishable by 6-12 months in prison.  Are you kidding me???

O.K. - I will refrain from launching into how incredibly insane this law is (other than to say that I cannot fathom how it can be LEGAL to buy and sell cigarettes which contain known carcinogens but punishable by jail time to milk a goat!?!?!?).  Sorry, I digress.  

Back to the story at hand:

So we are talking about the legalities of receiving raw milk and about whether or not the government should really be making laws about such things when Mr. Z has a sudden "lightbulb" moment and says, with a grin:

"Hey, they can't do that because I'm pursuing my happiness by drinking raw goat's milk!" 

If only the politicians were this intelligent!  LOL!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes... Raw milk is akin to heroine in the U.S. Crazy, isn't it?
Also enjoyed the youth conference remark, haha. Children have such wisdom, don't they?!

Cyndy said...

Okay...so I wonder if Mr Z's argument would hold up in a court of law? Really it ought to...it's a perfectly constitutionally sound argument!!!

Anonymous said...

WOW-I had no idea that was a LAW! I suppose that means I won't be asking our "friend" for some goat's milk. But it is legal for them to drink their own goat's milk? Hhmmmm.

Mr.Z is one smart cookie there. He should become a lawyer. :-D