Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Adoption and health care question

A soon to be adoptive family posted the following question on a group chat recently
We have been using a family practice doctor for our kids. It has been
fine because they don't have any health problems. But I've noticed
that he doesn't go through the list of developmental milestones, ect.
like our old pediatrician did. 
I think I am going to need a Pediatrician for our new kids. Do you all
agree? If so, do I need to find a special pediatrician that has
experience with internationally adopted children or anything like
that?
I think this is a GREAT question and probably one that many soon to be adoptive parents have. While I am sure there are differing opinions on this, my response  was:

I think you should probably do whatever you and your husband think is best for your family. We tend to have more of a
natural, holistic approach to health and medicines in our family, so that carried over in our care for our adopted children
too. We got them home, started feeding them healthy foods (lots of fruits and veggies, protein and whole grains, almost no
sugar and NO preservatives and food dyes), loved on them, and watched and waited. Their little round, hard bellies that
everyone was so concerned about started softening up, they started growing, they didn't have any signs of serious illness,
etc. . . so we didn't worry. We took them in for initial check-ups but didn't do 8 million tests - just some basics. They have
had NO health problems other than an allergy which manifests itself as a raised rash around their iris in their eye which we
have to use some special eyedrops for (a few months out of the year).

For us, this works. For some of you reading this, it probably freaks you out that we didn't go to specialists and test for
everything. If it makes you feel better to get everything checked out and tested, then do it - it will make you a better parent
if you aren't stressed about health. If going to get 8 million tests stresses you out and you don't see any real reason to go,
then just watch and wait. AND, pray - God gives wisdom to those who ask!

How about all of you readers out there? Are there questions about adopting, adopting older children, or adopting from Liberia that you have? I would be happy to try to let you know what our experience has been! Please leave a question or comment - I'd love to know who's been "lurking!"

No comments: