Thursday, August 20, 2009

Not for morning people

If you are a morning person. . . I will try not to hate you.

After many years and many attempts at MAKING myself a morning person, I have finally come to the conclusion that I will probably NEVER jump out of bed in the morning with joy in my heart and a smile on my face.

BUT - I would like to greet my husband and children each morning with joy in my heart and a smile on my face and so. . . I simply must discipline myself to get up earlier in the morning, drink my coffee, take a shower, and prepare my heart so that I can help my family begin THEIR day with joy in their heart and smiles on their faces.

The question is: HOW? I am convinced of the necessity and of the benefits, but still - the actuality of doing it eludes me. I did come across this little article suggesting that I

1. Figure out MY time that I need to get up.
O.K. I think this would be around 7. I know that sounds really late to you early birds, but for me it would be an improvement!

2. Consider that a little bit late.
So, I'll set the alarm for 6:45.

3. Take a shower first thing and get dressed and ready for the day.
This actually sounds great. I would LOVE to be totally ready for the day before our morning routine and breakfast begin!

4. Go to bed earlier.
OUCH! This is the part I hate! I love staying up a little late (or a lot late!). I like having some time w/ my husband after the kids are in bed and then I love having some time just to think, read, or blog after he is asleep too. I have LOTS of energy late at night: I have even been known to clean the bathrooms or tackle some organizing project at 10 p.m. LOL! Let's see. . . right now it is after midnight. Hmmm. . .

I guess I'll start tomorrow.

6 comments:

Ginny said...

Sounds like you and I are on the same schedule.

Shawna said...

Sounds good to me. You KNOW I'm right there with you. The going to bed early part is the part that I sometimes don't have a lot of control over. I can go to bed, but not necessarily sleep. One thing that has helped is to force myself to get up very early for a morning or too. Then, but bedtime, I'm quite tired. Ugh. Its a hard discipline! But worth it.

Liberia Adoption said...

I LOVE mornings, but RJ does not. So we spend our time together at night too. This is hard for me b/c I would rather be up early in the morning together. I actually start to feel sick if I stay up past midnight a few nights in a row. I guess I'm part pumpkin:-) Thanks for the post it is good.

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH, Jen. I am so with you on this. I consider getting up at 9am good for me. If Fred is home, he is fine with getting up with the kids and feeding them. I am a much happier mom if I get to sleep-in...and I am often up at midnight cleaning the kitchen and folding laundry. I am just made that way, like you.

If we are going to get any school done, though, I might have to get up at 7am, too. UGH. Just the thought makes me cringe. But I have no one to blame if we don't get things done and I got up really late, other than myself.

Hang in there.Love ya!

Deborah said...

Oh I can so relate! I just read something today....stop trying to get out of bed and just DO IT! How profound is that!? I'll have to try it...school is starting soon!

Laurel said...

Right there with you. I tried to go to bed "early" tonight ... at 10:30, with my husband (who has been gone for a few days). I lay there until midnight and then decided to get up and read some blogs.

I should be tired. I was up until 4:00 a.m. and got up at 10:00 this morning. And ... it was a loooong day of shopping, which usually tires me out. I thought I was tired when I went to bed. Oh well ....

:) :) :)