The year before my oldest was to begin "Kindergarten," we were seriously praying about homeschooling and I remember worrying about the fact that Mr. Z would never have the experience of carrying a lunchbox to school or sitting at a desk with his age-mates. . . and (gasp), "what about prom?"
I would like to report that Mr. Z has suffered no lasting effects from having spent the greater part of his first 5 "school" years running through the backyard, reading good books, baking cookies, and eating last night's leftovers for lunch (with his mom and siblings). He hasn't suffered from his lack of carrying a lunchbox or sitting at a desk filling in worksheets designed to make sure he can pass the STAR test at the end of the year in order to get more money for his school. In fact, both he and his brothers and sister are thriving, happy, loving children who have a zest for life and a love of learning. They have little care for the petty antics of most of their public schooled age-mates (of which I am thankful) and can all carry on a lovely conversation with anyone willing to engage (so much for the socialization argument - LOL!).
But I digress. . .
Now for the real reason for this post - to those of you thinking about homeschooling. . . especially if you are considering pulling your child out of public school : If you think there are things that worry you about homeschooling, PLEASE take the time to read this article and CONSIDER all of the very real things you should be worried about if you are sending your child off to public school.
Whatever choice you make, the reality is that WE (the parents) are responsible for the raising of our children and WE will stand before the Lord one day to give an account. I, for one, do not want to look back on this precious time the Lord has given me with my children and say, "but Lord. . . I just thought it would be o.k. . . . I didn't know how bad it was. . . I just didn't know. . ." Ignorance is NOT bliss when it comes to our children's education. We simply must be aware of what is going on. And so, I post this possibly controversial link, because I think it is important enough that others must hear.
By the way, my kids probably won't be going to prom (and it doesn't worry me one bit!).
5 comments:
Great post!
We have homeschooled for 19 years, and have another 11 to go (our youngest 2 kids are entering 2nd grade).
Our eldest daughter went to prom ... she came home after a very short while and told us to never let any of the other children attend any type of high school dance. She was completely disgusted by the amount of physical interaction that was taking place while "dancing". Yuck!
God's Word says that "Children are a blessing." However, they are the only blessing that people regularly say, "No, Lord, I don't want any more blessings." "No, Lord, I don't want to take care of the blessings that you have given us." "No, Lord, isn't there someone else who can take care of my blessings during the day, so that I can do my own thing."
Blessings,
Laurel
mama of 13
Great post to read on our first day back!!! Thanks :)
Love,
K
All I can say is AMEN!!!!!!
Miss ya,
Frances
AMEN!!
Thanks for the encouraging comments! I really love Voddie Baucham - he REALLY challenges us to think and live biblically!
Post a Comment