We ALL live in luxury! If you are reading this blog, that means you have access to a computer which means you are richer than about 94% of the rest of the people on earth! The fact that I can purchase a coffee drink or take my kids out to pizza occasionally probably puts me in the top 2% of the world's wealthiest people!
I got thinking about this after reading Amy's great post about the latest spending on a football stadium.
I don't know exactly what this means. I'm not sure selling everything I have would be the wisest use of our money, but at the same time if I see a brother or sister in need and do nothing, all the while drinking my $4 cup of coffee (that I really do enjoy!), then what does that say about my faith? What does my lack of action, even though I feel compassion, really mean?
Tough questions for sure! Does this mean that I don't take my kids to the water park next week when we know there are hurting and hungry children in the orphanage they used to live in? That sounds like a no brainer when I actually type it out - but yet it seems like a hard decision to make on a daily basis. . . why is that!?
I don't know exactly. . . but I do know that I can do SOMETHING - even if it is just $20 to Project Home, or $50 to buy food for the orphanage, or cooking dinner for a tired single mom, or providing respite care for a tired foster mom, or adopting a child (or six! LOL!).
We CAN all do something!
2 comments:
I have that same struggle. I guess that is why we need to be walking so closely with the LORD that we know when to act and when we are spending too much on feel good stuff.
Amen. I love how you said- just do something. We live here in America and we are so blessed. But because we ARE blessed we need to be doing something to bless others. That is how God planned it and yet so many people keep it for themselves... clinging to their stuff for security- and not trusting God. Clinging to their stuff for happiness and fulfillment. I agree it's crazy to go out and sell everything, but when we see a need WE need to do something. Love your heart. Thanks for this post! Amy
Post a Comment