I talk to people every day (in real life and online) who are wondering if they should say "yes!"
Like Carien, I encourage them (and you): YES! YES! Most definitely, say "YES!"
And, as I reflect on our lives so far, I remember that saying yes has not often been the "common sense" choice. It has not often been the comfortable choice nor the one that I had (at one time) thought we would be making:
- Move away to go to seminary when you have no job, no income, and no likely source of either? "YES!"
- Move across the country to Oklahoma where you have no family or friends, and where they have tornados? LOL! "YES!"
- Adopt three siblings from Liberia from an orphanage that no children have ever been adopted from, with an agency that has never done this either, with no money, on a single income? "YES!"
- Live on a single income? Forgo the extras so you can stay home and be the primary influence on your child? Oh, and by the way, homeschool your child(ren) too? "YES!"
- Adopt a sibling group of six out of foster care (ages 2-12)? What? "O.K., YES!"
At one time, I would have said that it was our faith (God given, of course) that led to us saying "Yes" despite all of our fears,
but Anne's post this week helped me to realize
that we don't "have faith" despite our fears,
but that it IS faith because we fear:
the fear that we can't do "this thing" on our own,
the choosing to put ourselves in a place where we are totally dependent on Him,
that terrifying leap of releasing our perceived control of the situation
and in that fear,
choosing to totally trust the One who is Trustworthy:
trusting that He can do "this thing" in us, for us, through us,
truly believing that because He is Sovereign
and because He is Good,
we can say "Yes!"
and rest in His (not our own) good and perfect plan for our lives.
THAT is faith: Forsaking All, I Trust Him
because, really, how much faith does it take for me to live a comfortable, nice, quiet, common-sense life where I basically meet my needs by my own strength? That's not faith. That's living at a Country Club with a little "Jesus" on the side. . .
Sorry. I'm not that into golf.
And, seriously, the blessings and True Joy that come from saying "Yes!" are WAY better than the Sunday brunch at the Country Club.
Hoping and praying that you say "Yes!" too.
2 comments:
Great blog!! I found you via the Mouro Family- and see we both follow Conversion Diary. I love your story and would love to hear more about it! We're in the process of adopting and want to grow our family quickly- though your speed is QUITE amazing! oh- and we love Ron Paul, too! (I clicked on the politics link...THAT's what told me, I have to follow this blog!)
Lauren,
I love the Mouros (although, I've never met them IRL!)! Most of our story is here, but I do have an older blog that has our Liberian adoption story and I'd be glad to send you the link (we made it private after the adoption b/c it had a lot of specific info). Maybe I should do a "basic story" post someday soon. . . Have you guys adopted yet or are you just starting out? I highly recommend growing your family by adoption, but as fast as we have done is definitely best done only by God's clear leading. We've added 9 in under 3 years! CRAZY and very overwhelming. Thanks be to God for his Grace every day!
Nice to meet you!
Post a Comment