To just read the Bible, attend church, and avoid "big" sins -is this passionate, wholehearted love for God?-Francois Fenelon, The Seeking Heart
I am currently reading "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan who describes, in the preface, how he grew up in church. I think it is almost, verbatim, what I would say about my high-school view of God and of Christianity
". . . I called myself a Christian, was pretty involved in church, and tried to stay away from all of the things that 'good Christians' avoid - drinking, drugs, sex, swearing. Christianity was simple: fight your desires in order to please God. . . In hindsight, I don't think my church's teachings were incorrect, just incomplete. My view of God was narrow and small. . . "
I know there are others out there who can relate (I know b/c you are my friends and we have talked about this!). I am so excited to be reading this book right now because it is really encouraging my husband and I to challenge our own assumptions of what it means to live the Christ-following life. At the same time it is a little scary because in many ways I like my comfortable life and at times I think "Lord, it would just be easier to live a life of mediocrity like everyone else!" I KNOW this is not what is best and it isn't REALLY what I truly desire, but in all honesty there are times. . . I think I am beginning to understand more of what Paul meant when he wrote "what I want to do, I don't do and what I don't want to do, I do."
In the end, though, I know that I will keep on reading this book and, even more importantly, I will keep on reading the Word of God - both books that are written for those who, in the words of Francis Chan: "want more Jesus. . . who are bored with what American Christianity offers. . . who don't want to plateau. . . who would rather die before their convictions do."
I don't want to be content with "enough God." I want to desire "more God." Lord, make it so in my life and in the life of my family!
Anyone want to join me in this adventure? The first 3 chapters of "Crazy Love" deal with the real root problem of why we are lukewarm - any guesses?
Answer: We have an inaccurate view of God.
Come on - order the book or borrow it today and leave a comment if you'd like to be a part of the discussion!
2 comments:
Wow.
Yes, I can relate to this (have we talked about it yet?) I have had the same thoughts about "settling" but know that I can't and know that that is NOT what God wants for me.
Now...since, obviously, I can't borrow the book from you do you know who might have it?
Jesting aside, I will get my hands on this book...I like to keep stretching in my walk with Him.
I'm getting onto one of my heavy Bible reading spurts (dont ya love those) so I'm gonna file this away for when I need it. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment