Sara, over at happyfoody.com is hosting The Green Smoothie Challenge which started yesterday. My children love smoothies and I usually sneak in a handful or two of spinach, so I think I'll join the challenge and we'll all try having at least one green smoothie every day for a month! Anyone else want to join me in this?
Here's our favorite smoothie drink (it isn't usually a green color, but the greens are in it so I think it "qualifies!):
1 banana
1-2 cups frozen apricots (leftover from summer canning that didn't happen!)
1-2 cups frozen berries (black or blue or strawberries)
1 cup yogurt or milk
1-2 cups OJ or a few peeled oranges
1 tsp. pure vanilla
handful of baby carrots
a couple of handfuls of spinach
Blend well (I LOVE my Vita-mix for blending smoothies!) and ENJOY!
I also use any leftover smoothie mix to make my own popsicles for the kids to enjoy as a VERY healthy desert!
5 comments:
Jenn, this is great! I just discovered smoothies and am excited to use this recipe. By the way, what is a Vita-mix?
love the popsicle idea-hadn't thought of smoothie pops before!
A Vita-Mix is sort of an industrial powered blender! It is what Starbucks and Jamba Juice use to make their coffee blended drinks and smoothies. They are really incredible. They can blend so fast that you can make soup in them (it actually heats up!). You can also make icecream in them AND, if you buy the extra (dry blade) container, you can even grind wheat in them for baking bread! I'm pretty sure you can find them online with a quick google search.
This oddly sounds very yummy! Thanks for the recipe. :)
Your recipe sounds amazing! I used to make smoothies all the time. However, with 7 kids (minus the baby) plus me, the amount I would have to make each time would wipe my freezer storage of berries clean! I, too, add a handful of spinach, but never thought of doing carrots! Yum! I also usually throw in some wheat germ or flax seed. Nice gritty smoothies!
Laura
Post a Comment