Monday, February 25, 2008

Econo-Meal: Liberian Style!

"Buck-a-whee an' Beans" is what my children call this meal which (as far as I can figure out) is very close to what they ate twice a day for three years while they were at the "orphan home" in Liberia.

We were at the grocery store one day when Speedy Mo (then 5) discovered "beans!" It was a bag of split yellow peas! We, of course, had to buy them and then had to find "buck-a-whee" to go with them. . . Big Jo (7) was able to confirm that Bob's Red Mill Kasha grain was something close to the buckwheat they had known. I brought home both and, with a little input from the children (and the back of the Bob's package), we were able to come up with the following recipie. * I have since found that purchasing Toasted Buckwheat from the health food store in bulk is MUCH cheaper than the small package of Bob's Red Mill Kasha.

This economic meal is also healthy, tasty, satisfying, and (depending on how much you make) can easily be incorporated into multiple dishes of leftovers . . . not to mention, it is well-loved by all of my children.

In the words of Speedy Mo, "um!" (smack lips) "YUM!" (smack) "I lov- ih- mama- thanks!"

1 bag of Split Yellow Peas
Toasted Buckwheat (Kasha from Bob's Red Mill works but bulk is cheaper if you can find it)
onion (red or other)
Sea Salt
Red Palm Oil and/or butter
Fish

As you can tell from the ingredient list above, I don't really cook with measuring cups (sorry!). I am assuming most of you reading this are more than able to figure out how much as you go along. If not, please let me know in the comment section and I will try to add some more specifics!

The yellow peas are EASY to cook: throw the bag of peas in a pan full of water and boil. Well, yes, take them out of the bag first! Simmer them about 40-60 minutes until the peas are soft. The first time I made them, I didn't use enough water and they got a little dry and mushy, so now I add a few extra cups of water to what it says on the back of the bag!

Now, while the split yellow peas are cooking, heat up a large frying pan or wok type pan. Melt some butter in the bottom or Red Palm Oil if you have it. Sautee some chopped onion (I like red onions and sometimes add garlic!) in the butter or oil. Then add the toasted buckwheat - "kasha". Last time I made this, I made a LOT (about 8 cups). As you are stirring the kasha, break a 2-4 eggs over it and "coat" the kasha with the egg mixture. After this mixture gets nice and golden (just takes 5 minutes or so), add enough water to cover all of the kasha, put a lid on the pot, and let it simmer until the kasha has softened. It will be somewhat like rice when it is done (soft, but dry).

Serving this dish is REALLY easy. Put some of the cooked kasha mixture in a bowl. Spoon the peas over the top (use a slotted spoon so the extra water doesn't come w/ the peas!). Salt it A LOT (my Liberian children say that you MUST have a lot of salt - use sea salt for better flavor and better health!). That's it. It pretty much tastes like mashed potatoes. LOL!

To doctor this up a little, we love adding Red Palm Oil, a little flaky fish (cod, orange roughy, or something similar), and Speedy Mo loves adding red pepper flakes! Red Palm Oil is a really healthy oil that is similar to coconut oil. It is used a lot in Liberia and can be found in most health food stores here in America.

I serve this with a BIG salad full of chopped veggies and a homemade vinagrette dressing (olive oil and balsamic vinegar) and that is our dinner for the night.

Now, depending on how much you make and how much your munchkins eat, you will most likely have enough leftover for the next day or two. Here are a few ideas to extend this econo-meal:

2nd day: brown some ground beef in a frying pan, add the buckwheat and beans. Fry it all up in some red palm oil. Salt for taste. If you have any left, put the leftovers in a pyrex casserole dish for day 3.

3rd day: put your casserole dish in the oven at 350 and heat through. Melt some cheese on top and serve alongside a piece of fruit as a SUPER easy lunch for your kids.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Tamra said...

Found you here through the comment you left on my blog! :) I added your blog to my daily reading.
Red Palm oil!!! Nobody else I ever talked to has ever heard of that!
I was encouraged to read Sunday's post. Bless you for listening to your heart and just loving/learning gently. You're right... there's plenty of time later for reading lessons. That's really what homeschooling is all about. Following the rhythm - the ebb and flow of what God has placed in our lives!

Cyndy said...

Okay, being the beany girl that I am I'll be a tryin' this.
I am one of those people who has never heard of Red Palm Oil...I'll be a lookin' for that next food run. This sounds really good!

Nikki said...

Hi there! I am just trying to get the word out to other families who adopted (or are adopting) from Liberia, that the Charity of the Month for March is a family adopting a little boy named William from Liberia, and who already adopted a little girl named Naomi. I am stylizing blogs for $20 to raise money to go on a mission trip to the Dominican Republic, and $5 of every blog stylized in March will go to their adoption. Thanks so much!
Nikki
www.madebynikki.blogspot.com