a few (as in, not very many)
good (as in, high quality, long lasting, well loved)
toys (as in, things children can actually PLAY with)
as in,
not
cheap,
plastic,
noisemaking
junk
dedicated to a single use
usually coming from a fast food restaurant
or large chain superstore.
I'm talking about having just
A Few Good Toys (and where to store them)
- Legos (large shallow plastic tub with wheels and a lid)
Seriously, if we could only have one toy, this would be it! Of course, maybe "one" is sort of a misnomer; it's more like 14,678 toys! But, just stick them all in a large, shallow tub and roll it under a bed. Easy access, easy clean up, easy storage. HOURS of fun!
- Building Blocks (Large basket or bin)
If you have Legos, you don't really need more building blocks, but we have found that a good set of wooden building blocks are quite useful for many days of creative play. "Jenga" blocks work great if you can't find or afford to purchase another good set.
- Dollhouse with people and vehicles (Large basket or bin)
and/or a farmhouse with animals and vehicles. Boys and girls will both love these sets with very high play value. We like the wooden sets, but there are some o.k. plastic ones too.
- Play food and dishes (medium basket or bin)
If you have preschoolers, you've got to have this. Again, we prefer wood (like the Melissa and Doug brand). There are some sets that have fruits and veggies that kids can "cut" in half
- A good assortment of dress up clothes (an old hope chest or extra dresser)
Some princess dresses and accessories, of course! Also include historical period pieces if you can and don't forget the boys. My 2 and 3 year old boys love hats and masks. My older boys love Dad's old sports uniforms, funny jackets, hats, and wigs.
- Baby doll and/or stuffed animal (on the child's bed)
I'm pretty sure most families have WAY too many of these things! One baby doll that is well-loved is worth much more than 10 random stuffed animals gathering dust! One or two of these can live on each child's bed, but any more than that is like a zoo.
As far as inside toys go, that's about it. Of course we have art supplies and outside items (maybe I'll post about that tomorrow).
Just take the 3 or 4 baskets and bins and put them on a bookshelf, in a low closet, or along a wall. Even the little ones can clean up and sort toys when it is this basic.
So, what do you do with all of the rest of your toys?
Just throw it all out.
Really,
you'll feel much better and your kids won't even be able to remember it after a few weeks.
In fact, they might not even notice the junk is gone. They will appreciate how much easier it is to keep their rooms clean!
10 comments:
LOVE this, and so, so true!!
Less is more in the toy/stuff/junk department, whatever the size of your family! I think your list is totally appropriate. In fact, as I look at our toy shelves, I think we are doing OK...a few things could be culled, but we're pretty pared down.
I will add something to your list though: board games. Not too many, but just the "best." I know your kiddos, and mine too, really get a lot of mileage out of games!
Now, can I apply this same principle to our learning materials....
As an early-childhood teacher, I completely agree with you! (Ha ha- as the text wrapped around I looked up and saw I'd spelled teacher with two "a's". THAT'd make my comment credible, huh?! Looking out for typos!)
I loved to share research with parents that followed the top graduates from Harvard over a long period of time. They studied the best of the best to find out what they had in common in childhood. Did they all grow up with stay-at-home moms? Breastfeed? Take Greek? Middle-class? WHAT? They discovered they all had plenty of un-structured play time. They were not rushed from activity to activity or given toys that entertained them. They were able to use their imaginations and learn to entertain themselves. I love to share this with parents to take the pressure off that the world piles onto us. "Well my daughter goes to ballet, flute-practice, soccer, karate, French AND is a girl-scout..." YIKES! Let the kid be a kid! Let families have time to actually be...FAMILIES!
So thanks for the great post- and I like the new blog look! I'm enjoying folloiwng your blog- I have one, too. www.psalm34-3.blogspot.com
Hey--I totally agree. For my son it is Knex, lego and Erector set. I think that is about all he needs. Oh yea add in a few good sticks and rope for outside and off you go!!
Yes! I am a purger, and have been wanting to purge even more! This post gives me that extra push toward just pitching that stuff I am on the fence about, wondering if "one day" they will play with it. LOL!
Hope all is going well . . .
In Christ, Laura
I love it Jen! My big boys are pretty much pared down to just legos (an OBSCENE number of legos), board games and some basic art supplies. Of course, they DO like to collect scrap lumber to build with and old appliances/electronics to dismantle and build into new "creations" (sigh). The one I'm having a hard time with is the baby. I have WAY too many toys for him because none of them seem to keep his interest for more than about 1 minute each (15 different toys MAY buy me 15 minutes of him being entertained). Oh, well. I guess he won't be 14 months forever. But if you have any ideas for miracle baby toys that really hold the attention of a little one, please do share.
Love you!
Comments! Yeah! I love the ideas ladies!
Board games must definitely be included - how about "A Few Good Board Games" as my next post? Any suggestions?
Outside toys, art supplies, and tools are also on my list of lists to make for this short blog series. I would love to hear your thoughts on those as well.
We've tried the erector sets and k'nex, but keep coming back to the Legos. Mostly, it's just too hard for us to keep multiple sets of thousands of tiny pieces sorted - so we just opt for one!
As far as baby toys go, I'd say just stick to these basics and then occasionally toss in your pots and pans with a wooden spoon or the drawer full of tupperware, or a cardboard box or a laundry basket to crawl in and out of. Something that "goes" like cars or a baby buggy or toy shopping cart are also good for toddlers!
Lauren, thanks for the link to your blog. I'll check it out! Love having you here!
Jen
Yes!!! We are the same way! So simple, such a blessing, and so fun for the kiddies!
Thanks Jen!!!
So far Joy hasn't been into the lego scene. But with Micah now a part of our world, I bet we're well on the way to lego-mania!!!
As for the outdoor toys, Joy has found about 101 uses for a small inflatable pool. And she LOVES having her own little playhouse in the backyard. Those 2 things and a wagon are the outdoor 'musts' in her little world.
Indoor ... if it has a princess on it, it's good to go.
Thanks Jen!!!
So far Joy hasn't been into the lego scene. But with Micah now a part of our world, I bet we're well on the way to lego-mania!!!
As for the outdoor toys, Joy has found about 101 uses for a small inflatable pool. And she LOVES having her own little playhouse in the backyard. Those 2 things and a wagon are the outdoor 'musts' in her little world.
Indoor ... if it has a princess on it, it's good to go.
Looks like a list of our favorite toys, but our boys also LOVE their Rescue Heroes (well made, lots of accessories, and dvds with great storylines).
Laurel :)
Post a Comment