Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Sweet Bedtime Discussions

  For those of you who are new or don't know, we adopted "Little Missy" 16 months ago just before her 4th birthday.  She has become so precious to us.  It has been amazing to see her transform from a very sad and pouty toddler into the confident, joyful, and caring Kindergartner that she is today.  

I had one of those sweet mothering moments tonight as I was tucking in "Little Missy". . . you know - the lump in your throat. . . I love my precious child moments. . . 

Missy:  " I have hurt on my toe."

Mom: " You do?!  Oh my. . . you seem to have lots of things wrong when it is time for bed! (Smile)"

Missy: (Grins b/c I'm not buying it and laughs as I tickle her)

Mom: "Let's see. . . last night you fell asleep while I was rocking you singing, remember?" (This is not our normal routine, but was just sort of a special little something that happened)

Missy: "You rock me to sleep again?"

Mom:  "Do you want me to rock you to sleep again?"

Missy:   shakes head "yes"

Mom:  "O.K.  . . . let's see, what did we sing last night?"

Missy:  "you sing 'rock a bye baby' an anuder song too."

Mom:  "Yes, well here's one I used to sing to "Mr. Z" when he was a baby."

Missy: "I wanted you to have me when I was a baby.  Mom, Why you not adopt me when I was a baby?" (this was said so preciously sweet and curious!)

Mom:  "I would have loved to have had you when you were a baby.  I would have rocked you and sang to you and nursed you.  I didn't know about you when you were a baby - I wish I did though!"

Missy:  "You should have called Pastor Wesley and told him you want me and come and carry me home when I was a baby."

Mom:  "That would have been wonderful. . . I am so glad I have you now. . . you are my baby now, aren't you?  Someday maybe we'll have another baby to take care of too (she has been praying fervently for a little sister lately)."  

Missy:  "An she will sleep in my room and we will get her a crib and she can have a caroseat by my seat and I will help to buckle her in!"

Mom:  "You would be a good big sister, wouldn't you?" 

Missy:  (Smiles and puts her two middle fingers in her mouth and snuggles in for a lullaby).

Yes, Little Missy, I wish I would have had you as a baby. . . but I'm so glad I have you now. 

7 comments:

Chari said...

It was quite funny when your blog showed up in my google reader that you had posted a new post. I thought: whose blog is that??? So, I read your post and I could only visualize YOUR sweet little girl as the little missy.....and then, I scroll down to a few other posts and remember I had found your blog the day Francis sent out the info........funny it was YOUR little miss all along!I could just HEAR the accent. :)

SO VERY SWEET! I am glad you wrote it down, to remember and savor!

I will pray along with your daughter for her to receive a little sister!

God bless,

Chari

Cyndy said...

okay...very hormonal lately...tears running down my cheeks....thanks for the reminder to savor the little moments. :)

Shawna said...

Sniff, sniff...too precious. She is a special girt. May God redeem the time lost for his glory....and may He answer Little Miss' prayer!

Created For His Glory said...

Aw :) Miss M (3) has a hard time grasping this as well. Praying for these sweet children - that they see all their circumstances woven together by Him alone to create the them he wanted!!!

Anonymous said...

Shawna-

What is a "girt"??? Lol.

Oh my gosh-I am NOT the crying-teary type, but you tugged at my heartstrings with this one. What a sweet conversation to have! She IS such a sweetie, and you are so blessed!

Love,
Frances (that is with an -es Chari)

P.S.-I've had a hard day-I need to be irritating!

Liberia Adoption said...

That is so precious! It makes me miss this sweet mamma and baby girl even more than I already do!

steffany said...

That is awesome. I look forward to those moments with my kids. Right now I feel like we are still in survival mode.