"thank you, now please get me a quarter."
A few months ago, you would hear me say this quite often to each of my children whenever they decided they needed to tattletale on each other. These days I am having to use it with much less frequency and I must say that this was one of my hubby's most wonderful parenting ideas ever!
It formed in his mind sometime after hearing a whining child say "Mama, you see mawnee?" for the 4,075th time in one week. LOL! We were absolutely beside ourselves wondering what to do about the incessant tattling which was obviously for the benefit of getting the other child in trouble and not really because of anything significant which mama or papa needed to know about.
So, we instituted the "quarter jar." We explained: "You may tell mama or daddy anything you need to about your brothers or sister, but you will need to pay a quarter to do so." The quarter jar is kept on a shelf in the kitchen where it is easily accessible to mama at any time of the day. Anytime the children even started to whine with a "you see. . . " we would say with a cheery voice, " No, I did not see. . . , please get me a quarter!" After a week or so of this, all 4 of our children decided that tattling just wasn't worth it (some of them actually ran out of money that first week!).
Now, lest you think we are just mean and awful parents, there are a few exceptions: They may come and tell me if someone is hurt or is seriously physically harming someone else and they may also come and tell me if they have a problem that they have already tried to work out (but it MAY NOT be in a whiney voice that they come!) IF they are truly seeking help. Sometimes, one of my children will bring me a quarter and tell me something - I guess they figure that sometimes it is worth it.
However, for the most part, the "quarter jar" has been quite a success in adding to the peacefulness of our home. Our kiddos have learned to work it out and have been less apt to try to get each other in trouble when they know it will cost them something.
Here is the funny part - whenever we are going to run errands and I want to get a special coffee drink on the way, I get the money out of my "quarter jar." I tell the kids that mommy gets a special treat for having to listen to all that whining! Ha, Ha!
5 comments:
That is Awesome! I am going to have to try this! I don't think my kids have any money though! Maybe I should start by giving each of them some? OH! Grandma and Grandpa are coming this weekend . . . they always give money!
In Christ, Laura
I love it...you've just suggested a way that I can pay for my coffee habit! WHOO HOO! I like the fact that it helps with the tattling too.
Hee hee.
I love this idea! I actually read this post a few days ago and have been thinking about implementing it in our home. One question: Where do the kids get the quarters? By giving them quarters are you giving them permission to tattle X amount of times? I guess I could do that and add, "Choose wisely!" ;)
Tereasa,
Our kids actually get the quarters from either money we give them (sort of an allowance - not much, but they can choose how to spend it) or money they earn from doing jobs for friends/family (like stacking wood, pullling weeds, etc), or from gifts. Right now some of them don't have much money, but some of the others have quite a bit.
Love it. I did this with my kids when they were little. I will remind them so they can do it with their kids.
Post a Comment