Yes, it is true.
We have been misunderstood.
Many times.
Over many years.
BUT, I love that God is showing me that it is O.K. to be misunderstood.
Many times it gives me a unique opportunity to share the Hope that lies within me!
In fact, if I am living in such a way that no one ever questions my sanity, then maybe I'm not really living for Him.
I hope you enjoy this "guest post" today (from my husband):
-----------------------------------------
Misunderstood
When they looked at Jesus' life, what did the religious leaders most complain about?
That He ate with sinners and tax collectors.
What was Jesus most accused of by the religious leaders of the day?
Being a drunk and a glutton!
As we read the narratives of the gospels, we see the heart of Jesus and we understand why he was so intentional about spending time with people of questionable character and status - but those around Him missed it completely.
He even told the religious leaders, "it is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." (Mark 2:17)
Jesus willingly accepted the fact that most people (and mostly religious people) would misunderstand Him as he pursued that which the Father had before Him.
I like the fact that Jesus was misunderstood.
It is freeing!
One of the biggest struggles I have had has been living to please others. This naturally made me afraid of what people thought about me and the decisions I made.
God has been pressing on these fears of man and has been burning them away, directing me to be most concerned about
what He thinks about me
and what He has before me. . .
even if others don't get it,
even if my friends totally miss the point,
even if it brings criticism.
CT Studd once said,
"Some wish to live within the sound of Church or Chapel bell. I want to run a Rescue Shop within a yard of hell."
I think Studd really understood the life of a follower of Jesus and how it might impact the way others see you.
What is so ironic is that when we are living out the
radical,
gospel-focused,
grace filled,
God-centered life
that smells of a rescue worker,
those who see themselves as "very religious" are the very ones who will misunderstand
while those of the world will (quite likely) be intrigued, fascinated and interested in why we live this way.
This gives us the opportunity to give an answer for the Hope that lies within us.
May we fear no man when we pursue God
and His direction for us.
May we run headlong into the God-fearing,
gospel-focused, grace-filled life.
May we ignore the critics
and pay attention only to the audience of One
for whom we live.
On the journey,
Pastor Jeff
4 comments:
It's good to be reminded that sometimes it is ok to be misunderstood.
Love this post!!!!
R-E-A-L-L-Y like this! We are currently dealing with being quite misunderstood... It does hurt but so makes us run to Him. Thank you for posting this!
LOVE it!
We have lived a totally "not normal" life for so many years, that I cannot seriously remember if/when we ever were understood.
We've always been the ...
... "not normal" ones.
... "crazy" ones.
... "foolish" ones.
But, you know what, we have been living the extraordinary life that Christ has called us to live, and we wouldn't want it any other way.
I personally think that "normal" would be quite boring.
Laurel :)
Post a Comment