There is such a thing, you know.
BUT. . .
often, we don't "like" it and so we rationalize it away.
Think about it.
Have you ever said:
"but I just feel like. . . "
"well, I think that. . . "
"they're being so judgmental, it's my decision. . . "
"well, I tried that but it didn't work so. . . "
"well, the experts say that. . . "
"it's just how I am. . . "
or in regards to our children, "it's just how they are. . . "
There are many more ways that we love to rationalize away the Truth and replace it with LIES.
This is sort of funny, since, of course, then we aren't actually BEING RATIONAL!?!?!?
(am I the only one who sees the irony here?)
But I digress.
One area that women, in particular, seem to struggle with believing Truth is in the area of Fear, Worry, and Anxiety.
"Oh, but that's just how I am. It's how God made me. I can't do anything about it. You just don't understand. . . "
REALLY? I don't think so.
Are we going to accept those same lame excuses from an alcoholic or a liar or a rapist?
um, NO. . .
why?
Because those things are SIN (as defined by the Word of God) and as such we still generally won't accept the "oh, poor me" victim-mentality heart-snot* as a good REASON to act that way.
and here's the deal:
Fear, Anxiety, and Worry are sin too.
Don't believe me? Have you read your Bible lately?
"Be anxious for nothing." "Do not fear." "Do not worry about tomorrow."
Yep. I'm pretty sure those are commands.
from God.
which would make breaking them - sin.
Like I said,
we don't really like these "hard Truths."
But, it is the Truth.
Check out Tamara's thoughts on this too.
*and, yes, I said "heart-snot" which I think I just made up because it is exactly what it makes me think of: nasty, green snot coming out of whining, self-absorbed heart.
and, next time I sound fearful, anxious, or worried, please gently remind me to
"Fear Not, for the Lord your God is with you!"
4 comments:
agree.
We are so quick to condemn a sin we don't participate in or even struggle with *much*, and justify away our own because it's culturally or familial-y "normal". And so we live in utter bondage to something crippling, and even embrace it as "us" - "just the way we are" - or "something I'll always struggle with" (in a defeated tone).
I was studying Isaiah 40.1-2 today, and was contemplating the comfort God wants to speak to His people... comfort could come because their warfare was over, their iniquity was removed, and He had given them double for all their sins. It struck me today, the 'iniquity has been removed' part. We, if we are in Christ, no longer have any condemnation; Jesus did it all. BUT we still live in a Romans 7-type body (and will make war with sin until we get out of these bodies). Does that mean we can receive no comfort until we physically die? That's not where I went with it... the application point He gave me today was that I will not be able to live experiencing His constant and perfect peace as long as I even indulge my flesh enough to mentally dwell on something sinful [not true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, praiseworthy, etc]. I have been battling with a particular temptation (a strong attack in an area I haven't dealt with in some time... years), and can see clearly that the battle is in my mind (thank God that's been the extent).... but even to indulge the THOUGHT enough to struggle with it for several days longer than I needed does not allow peace.
Our enemy will attack -again, and again, and again- and knows many of our weaknesses. But our GOD (who is GREAT and MIGHTY) has no greater joy than to overcome sin in us on a moment-by-moment basis, in our thoughts and actions. If we can get our eyes off of even our struggles and JUST ONTO HIM -and let Him overcome one more area of iniquity (be it fear, worry, selfishness, unfaithfulness, WHATEVER), it is His JOY to wash us in Truth and renew our MINDS and strengthen us with ALL power to FREELY live like Jesus:
in utter trust in, love towards, faithfulness to, and dependence on the Father.
Abundant life.
Hi Jen -
My name is also Jen! Lisa Qualls posted my discipline question on her blog (onethankfulmom.com) on Tuesday. Thank you SO MUCH for responding. Your response was incredibly helpful. My husband and I look forward to discussing some of the things you mentioned.
I couldn't find an email address for you, therefore, I am commenting as a way to email you. :) I am really curious about your encouragement to not do much, if any, school work the first year.
Your reminders about spending our first year with them like we would an infant/toddler was great for me to hear. This is what we have been planning to do but I feel like most people (here in my community - most of whom have not adopted from hard places) think I am OFF MY ROCKER for saying things like rocking our older girls with warm milk, etc. So, hearing you say what you did was great encouragement to me to stay on that path. We have been planning on home schooling the girls and focusing mostly on learning English (they will only know French) and some preschool basics for the first year.
Do you think that is appropriate or do you suggest not even doing that? We live in Iowa and by law, seven year olds have to be 'enrolled' somehow in school so I'm curious how to handle that.
I have done a lot of reading/preparing for adopting our three kids and have not ever heard anyone say to not do much if any school. I get your thinking behind it, but just want to know more to know how to practically handle this issue. Is there anything else you suggest I read about this?
I look forward to following your blog. I am not yet following many families who have adopted three kids at a time and I want to soak up as much as I can before they get here (in a few months).
Thanks so much for taking time to read this and responding if you are able.
Jen Lee
jenniferailenelee@gmail.com
Jen,
Found your blog through your comment on another and have been so encouraged and inspired by it. Would love to chat with you sometime. I couldn't find an email address for you either. But here's mine: watsonadoption@gmail.com
thanks mare, jen, and amy for the great comments!
mare - great thoughts. I love how you pointed out that God LOVES to transform our minds. He LOVES to overcome the sin in our lives again and again.
I often wish I could blog as well as I comment on other blogs! LOL!
I think I like answering questions more than just coming up with something to say. . . so if you've got any good ones, please ask away and I'll blog my answers which I hope will be grounded in the Word and in Truth!
amy and jen - I sent you an email so you should have my address now.
Post a Comment