I am thinking that the very sweet, nice Jesus character in the bible story books and movies is not really an accurate portrayal of his true character.
I don't know anywhere in the bible where "niceness" is touted as a virtue. And, I could be wrong here, but maybe if we worried less about being nice, we would actually speak the truth more often and tell people what they probably really need to hear (which, I argue, would actually be kinder than giving them a "pat on the back" they don't need. . . and kindness IS a fruit of the Spirit!).
Now, you are probably thinking: "What in the world does this have to do with John 5, adoption, or healing?"
Well. . . let's look at the interaction Jesus has at the pool of Bethesda -
Here is this poor, crippled man who is lying there in misery (and has been for a long time).
The psycho-babble "niceness" of our day would say that it would be good to
go up to him and ask him how he's feeling,
and say how sorry we are for him,
and make him comfortable,
and tell him oh, how terrible it is that this is his life and has happened to him blah, blah, blah. . . .
we would probably even call this "compassion."
But, that is TOTALLY NOT what Jesus does!
And, if anyone is compassionate, it was Jesus, right?
Jesus sees him and his condition and then says clear as day (and, as I read it, I am not thinking it is with a sweet, "oh, poor you" voice) asks him "Do you want to get well?"
The man doesn't say yes!
He doesn't. . . instead, he does what all people wallowing in self-pity and self-focus do - he gives a bunch of excuses and reasons why he hasn't gotten well and why he can't get well. . . the "I am totally a victim, please feel sorry for me" mentality.
Believe me, I see this DAILY in my children (and myself, if I don't watch it).
There is ALWAYS an excuse and a reason why it is someone elses fault and why they are a victim.
Jesus does not "feel bad" for the man (although I'm sure He has compassionate love toward him!).
He doesn't say, "oh, you are right. . . how sad. . . I can see how that hurts your feelings that others are jumping in line ahead of you. . . why don't we go talk to them and work it out. . . "
Nope. none of that.
Jesus just says "Get up! Pick up your mat and walk" Now, of course, I'm sure there is supernatural healing involved here, but that same power that Jesus has is available to us too.
And, when the man obeyed - actually decided to stop wallowing and to obey Christ and get up-he was healed!
Then, when Jesus sees the man later, he says "See, you are better! Now stop sinning so something worse doesn't happen to you."
Pretty blunt.
Not very "nice" in the way we think of "nice."
BUT, it was KIND.
Kind and Compassionate - because He gave them what they needed -
a good reality check - the TRUTH.
Get up, stop wallowing in self pity, stop sinning and be made well.
Sorry if this is rambling, but are you seeing this.?
. . This is SO how it is with our kids!
We aren't doing them any favors by telling them how sorry we feel for them and letting them continue in their (completely self-focused, self-worshipping) "I'm a victim, oh, poor me" mindset.
They need the TRUTH. *
TRUTH -
Yes, bad things happen.
Yes, some of them have happened to you.
Yes, life is not fair.
NOW, get up and walk!
stop sinning or it will only get worse.
TRUTH -
be healed by the love of Jesus.
You are not a victim.
Jesus is enough.
It doesn't matter what the others around you are doing.
Yes, they might be "jumping in the pool ahead of you."
Get over it.
Get up and WALK IN TRUTH.
hmm. . .not going to win me any points with the psychologists, I know.
Off to kindly and compassionately encourage my kids to walk in truth today!
*and just to make sure I'm not understood here: The Truth is always spoken in LOVE. I'm not talking about being harsh with our children. I'm talking about helping them take the focus off of themselves and pointing them toward the only One who can truly, truly heal their hearts.
5 comments:
A big hearty AMEN! :)
Hi Jen!
Thanks for this wonderful post. My name is Lande Yoosuf and I am a Casting Director recruiting for a series about large, diverse families that all live under the same roof. If you are interested or know anyone that might be, please contact me ASAP at lande@lifefilmentertainment.com.
Also, do you know of any national organizations that cater to/assemble large, adoptive and diverse families such as your own?
Thanks so much, looking forward to talking to you!
You are right on mama. I love it. Oh, how I had hoped we could have met face to face. But....Lets stay in touch.
Hugs,
Summer
Amen, amen and amen!!!! ...and we seriously need to get together for coffee and conversation!
Hi Jenn! So great meeting you this weekend. : ) And I LOVE this post!
Post a Comment