The Rockstar is hilarious! Courtney and her kids must laugh a LOT around their house!
My husband has this same sarcastic sense of humor (and, so do I) so this gets us ROTFL!
Since 9 of our 10 are quite obviously adopted, we don't get the vasectomy or tube tying questions very often, but we are often asked if we are done yet. As in: "You ARE done now, right?!"
Just the other day I was holding a friend's sweet 3 month old baby at church when a lady (also in the 35-55 year old age range that the Rockstar talked about) came up to me and said, "Don't even think about it!"
What? Excuse me? What kind of comment is that? Here, I'll give you a few other more appropriate things you could have said:
"Oh, what a sweet, precious baby!"
"Do I get a turn to hold him?"
or, if you are really wondering if we are planning to have more (not that it is really your business, but. . . ):
"Are you missing the baby stage?"
"Do you want another one?" (of course, depending on tone, this could go either way! LOL!)
In response to the Rockstar's question about how he should reply to ladies who comment on his plans for a vasectomy, I guess you could say something like:
"What! You mean I could snip myself and avoid all of these blessings! Well, why hasn't anyone ever told me this before? Tell me, when and where did you have your tubes tied and for what purpose?"
See, I told you I could be sarcastic. It really is terrible!
Actually, though, I don't think that people are THINKING before they say things or ask questions that are so rude or intrusive. Replying snarkily is probably not usually the best course of action. I'm sure a response of grace and truth is better.
Didn't someone once say to speak the truth in love?
I guess I'll need to work on that!
7 comments:
Love your take on it!
I get the same response when I am holding someone's baby - have had it said a few times now!
I have often heard the comment/question ...
"When is your husband going to get fixed?"
or
"Is he fixed yet?"
To which I sweetly reply ...
"Fixed? Oh ... no need for fixing. He obviously works quite well."
:) :) :)
Jen, when people ask if you're done yet, just point to your littlest one and say, "Actually, we think of him as our middle child." Or tell them your going to keep having kids until you get a ugly one LOL!.
Mama D., isn't it unbelievable how people will talk about godly fathers as if they were terriers overdue to see the vet?? You should inform these people that sterile sex causes blindness. Hee, hee.
That's a good one ... sterile sex causes blindness.
By the way ... I am 48 and I think my baby-making days are over. We haven't used birth control in almost 2 years, and the Lord has chosen to close that door. (We were using birth control methods during the time we were adopting 3 children from Ghana ... I was working full time ... and I was still homeschooling 7 of my kids plus the 3 new ones.) Seriously ... it makes me sad. I knew the day was coming, but I really thought we might have another one or two.
Hopefully ... my grandma days aren't too far away. I have 4 kids that are in "serious relationships", so I'm expecting a couple of marriages in the next year or so.
Laurel
We just get the are you crazy look, since we were almost to empty nest and started over!! I really have no desire for an empty nest--show it to me in scripture!!
Check out my blog, I left you a blog award:)
Thanks for your comment on my blog!
Your blog is great. I love reading your thoughts!!
I get these comments all the time, and we only have 4. I always hear 'boy. you have your hands full!' and i say 'full of blessings!'
Sometimes i get a smile. More often I get that 'you are crazy, lady!' look. It makes me sad that our culture doesn't value children. They really are gifts!
Hi! I don't have a large family, but I was reading your blog and - a former friend was on my mind ... the last time I went to visit her, she took me to her favorite restaurant. When we walked in she said to me, "Oh there's my favorite wait - good God, she's preggers again! This'll be her THIRD!" and when the waitress came over, she asked her, "Have they figured out how to fix that yet?" The waitress was gracious, but goodness gracious malone, people can sure be rude, can't they!
Jeannee edisonmyndiecoco@yahoo.com
Post a Comment