Tuesday, August 26, 2008

What is it that gets in the way?

What is it that gets in my way of following after the One True God WHOLEHEARTEDLY?   A similar question was posed in our home bible study group tonight and it had me thinking.  Someone commented that, for them, it really did mean selling most of what they had and giving their money to the poor.  We talked about how George Mueller (get his bio and read it if you haven't!) chose to give up all money in the form of a salary and/or possessions because he knew that, for him, it just got in the way.  I would dare to say that for most of us, money and "stuff" often get in the way and I'm sure I could stand to live with a LOT less than what we have but as I really asked the Lord "What gets in my way?," I knew that there was something else. . . 

As I pondered this thought this evening, I was thinking about how I LOVE to learn and LOVE to read and LOVE books (Oh, no, I thought. . . do I have to give up my books and reading?!?!). . . and then I came across this timely and insightful post by a woman who I greatly admire and who has spoken (through her written word) blessing and truth into my life many times.  Sally Clarkson, HERE, posts about what I think gets in my way all too often:  too many choices! Really, it is an incredible post, go and read it before reading further.

 I SO often allow all of these choices and how much I read about them and research them and talk about them and think through them and think about if it is the right one, and re-think through them, and ask others what they think, and on and on. . . I allow the choices to take up so much of my time that I have little time left for the actual following after God wholeheartedly.  

I mean, what would I do if I didn't have a choice of what wonderful new homeschooling curriculum I would use this year or what sports my child should play, or what author's discipline method was best in each case, or what bedding to buy for my room, or what new bible study book to read now?    I don't exactly know (which is sort of the problem!), but I think maybe I would just use a Bible to teach my child to read and maybe take a walk with my children to look at the world the Lord has made while we got some needed fresh air and exercise.  I would try to love and shepherd my child according to God's word and Christ's example, I would sleep under whatever blankets we had around, and I would spend my time reading and re-reading the only book that really matters.   I would spend less time thinking and planning and talking and more time praying and serving and listening and loving. . . 

What about you?  What is it that gets in your way?  I would love to hear from you!  Pray for me as I think about how to minimize all of the choices in my life so I might just make the one choice necessary - that I might choose as Mary chose - to sit at the feet of my Savior!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think what gets in my way is not allowing myself to have that time of 'peace' and quiet with the Lord. When I don't, I get so caught up in the hustle and bustle of everything around me. When I do spend precious time with Him, it keeps me focused on what really matters. None of that other stuff is important. He makes it clear what really is.

Love ya...and see, I COMMENTED!

Liberia Adoption said...

Great post sister! Made me think...What gets in my way is fear of failure. I am tempted and often cave to push myself beyond rational measures b/c I am afraid of failing. Failing to properly educate, raise, feed my children. Or to manage my home orderly or cook a good enough meal...This is b/c I don't listen enough to God's plan for our lives, and allow the pressure of the world to seep in.

Miss you so much!